Someone once reminded me that there is only one direction you can coast, down.
Unless your business development strategies are in place and taking you toward success you are headed toward failure.
I spent a lifetime as a consultant to long-established businesses. Some of them have been doing business for 75 years or more.
And while they do have a business development strategies, they have never had a business plan–at least not one on paper.
The owners were always people who had been around the company all their life. They were so closely identified with the business that it would never occur to them to have a business plan.
If they spotted an opportunity or a problem they knew instinctively what its impact could be on their company. Rarely did they need business development strategies harts and graphs to help them make a decision.
Then something would happen and they would need a plan, maybe for the bank–and immediately their creative juices started flowing, helping them deliver some of the most creative fiction ever written.
Their objective, explain on paper something they believed in their heart but couldn’t prove to someone they had never felt comfortable explaining their business to, until they needed their help.
They had always been too busy and too secretive to really share information about their business development strategies with outsiders or members of the family – so they just sort of flew by the seat of their pants.
- Effective Business Development
- Leadership Development Resources Taking A Successful Company into The 21st Century
- What About Leadership and Management Skills? Leaders Must First Be Followers
- Video: Top 10 Characteristics of a Leader
- Where Will Your Future Leaders Come From? Succession Planning and Leadership Development
- Leadership and Management Training is Without A Doubt A Major Element in Business Success
- Managing The Bad Things About Social Media